Our Healthy Chats seminars are open to mothers, aunts, grandmothers, step-mothers, mentors, and the treasured girls in their lives. Healthy Chats enables you to take advantage of the physical changes of puberty as an opportunity to learn, share, and be proactive in every aspect of a girl’s life. You can set up an on-line group with friends, school mates or join one based your schedule availability.
Healthy Chats for Girls Agenda:
Introduction: Our instructors introduce themselves, overview the format of the class, and give any other necessary announcements. There will be an ice break activity to participate in.
Consists of an approximate 30 minute slide presentation on the stages of puberty. These are:
- Breast Development
- Body Hair/Odor
- Mood Swings/ Emotional Changes
- Menstruation – Having your Period
These concepts are presented in a fun, sensitive manner that stresses the normal process of growth and development that girls experience. There is also a brief, age-appropriate review about the facts of life, “the birds and the bees.” The basic information at this age includes:
- How do babies get in? / What is Sex?We will NOT be reviewing where babies come from (SEX) unless specifically asked by the on-line group. All mothers must be in agreement if they want the instructor to provide this explanation. To help them decide, the registrants will receive beforehand a copy of the e-book “The Birds and the Bees with Ease!” by Dr. de Freitas which has a review of how to explain these concepts to young children and tweens. Please review this on your own prior to the on-line seminar.
- How to they get out?
Prior to a snack break, mothers and daughters have the opportunity to anonymously write questions and hand them in on the provided cards. These cards are collected and reviewed during the second half of the workshop. Moms are also asked to complete an inspirational sentence for their daughters to be read back at the end of the seminar by the instructor.
During the break, the instructor will gather with the mothers and review whether or not to continue the story in part 2 of the seminar as it pertains to:
In addition to addressing questions placed in the question box, the group is encouraged to participate by contributing personal anecdotes, etc. One of the goals of the seminar is to show these young girls that their mothers are their best resource. During this half of the presentation, the group is shown different sanitary products (no specific affiliations to any company), how to use and dispose of them, etc.
If the mothers have agreed upon it, the instructor will conclude the seminar with the story of conception (what is sex.)
- Class Size Minimum: 10 Mother-Daughter couples; Maximum of 25 couples
- Date: See available schedule for on line classes.
- Time: 2 Hours (+/- 15 mins.) depending on length of Q&A, snack time, etc. There will be a 10 min break in between.
- Fee: $60.00 per mother-daughter pair; $30 per extra person/sibling
What you’ll achieve alongside your daughter…
- Mothers – Come review of all the information you need to know to share with your daughter about Puberty
- Learn – what is age appropriate for her age and become your daughter’s resource for information
- Experience a fun couple of hours with your daughter and her friends on line
- Create a bond and an experience that neither of you will ever forget
- Consult with the presenters and get accurate health information